note: As part of an evangelical and mission-minded denomination, Calvary has been very involved OVER THE YEARS in various mission activities and events such as trips to Nicaragua, Haiti, Mexico, Philippines, El Salvador, the Congo, Dominican Republic, Alaska, and Thailand.
Calvary Baptist Church was formed in April 1928 when a group of 100 withdrew from First Baptist Church to form a “Baptist Mission.” They met in the Grand Opera House at High and Court Streets. During the next six months the name of Calvary Baptist Church was selected and Articles of Incorporation filed. A pastor, W. Earl Cochran, was called and on October 7, 1928 the Right Hand of Fellowship was extended to 235 charter members.
Construction of our present church building started in 1938. During construction of the permanent building, the Church met in a tabernacle built by members in ten days. Members of the Church gave a great deal of volunteer labor and the cost was kept down to $30,000. On November 6, 1938 the new building was dedicated.
Calvary sponsored the establishment of Judson Baptist Church and a number of Calvary members willingly transferred their letters to form a nucleus for the new sister church.
Our “new” educational unit was dedicated on May 13.
The sanctuary was completely renovated and a beautiful Rodgers organ installed.
Ground breaking for our new Family Life Center was held on June 19, 1987.
On March 6, 1988, the new facilities were dedicated to the “Glory of God.”
Rev. Bret A. Truax became the 12th senior pastor to be called to service at Calvary.